When SYRP first introduced the Genie in 2012, we did not quite know how to swallow this new animal. It was a motorized panning head, but it had a wire-wrapping function that allowed to travel great distances, creating some very interesting results. Ever since SYRP evolved the system to include a second motor, a pan-tilt head a Cable Cam and a complete eco-system in general.
Now, the company is releasing their second version of the Genie – Genie II, and I have to say it makes a lot of sense.
The two most notable things are integrating PAN and TILT into a single unit. I mean, you could always kinda pan and tilt with the Genie, but it was a cumbersome solution involving a big bracket and two Genie minis. No,w this function seems a lot more mature and integrated.
The other big thing is that SYRP is bringing their app control (bluetooth) to the main unit. I have not seen the app yet, but I assume it will be similar to the app that drives the mini which is pretty easy to use.
It’s not a surprise that the kit will support the recently announced “infinite” SYRP Magic Carpet.
The new Genie boasts an impressive array of features:
- Load capacity of 7.9lb (~3.5 kg)
- Multiple recording modes – Time-lapse, video and panorama and more
- Full keyframe setup for both Timelapse and Video
- Automated Bulb Ramping Time-lapse (added via firmware update)
- Joystick driven Live Movement Control
- Swappable battery packs
- Full Wireless Camera Control (added via firmware update)
- Live View Mode (added via firmware update)
- Compiled Time-lapse preview (added via firmware update)
- Universal slider, dolly, and cable cam compatibility
- App Control on iOS and Android
- Colour LCD for simple setup control (Genie II Pan Tilt)
- Patent pending Quick Release System
- USB-C, BLE & Wifi connection
- Patented rope drive for endless tracking
- Heavy lifting and fast moving
- Multi-camera support