Multi Slider is the world’s first bendable camera slider
If you’re in search for a camera slider, Austrian startup Waterbird Systems will make you say “Shut up and take my money.” They have developed Multi Slider, a bendable slider which enables linear and curve camera tracks in the same product. You can change it from a linear to a curve slider at any demanded radius in only a few seconds. Also, you can control it either manually or via mobile app. Whether you’re a cinematographer or a timelapse photographer, I’m sure you’ll find this product useful.
You can use the Multi Slider in a variety of ways. You can use it as a linear slider, bend it to create a curve slider, or combine the two shapes. Other than changing its shape for horizontal tracking, you can also use it for vertical tracking.
Here are the specs of the slider and the controller:
- suitable for straight and curved tracking shots
- highly stable axis segments, each equipped with an individual thread for tripod mounting
- flexible rails with highest sliding performance – every length available on request.
- high-precision stepper motor and drive belt move the slide smoothly along the rails
- smallest possible diameter: 500 [mm]
- 2 brake levers easily lock the system at every demanded radius (down to smallest possible radius of 250 [mm])
- additional user-defined adjustment of the system via allen keys, for even greater precision or for a combination of straight and curved tracks
- slide: total length: 85 mm, equipped with motor, controller and battery pack
- Control of the Multi Slider motor or motors of other slider systems
- Mobile Apps will be available for Android and iOS Smartphones. (Device must support Bluetooth Low Energy)
- Fully repeatable automatic movement thanks to industry standard (geared) stepper motors
- Simple to set start and stop positions, speed and acceleration ramps for camera movements and time-lapse
- Micro-step mode for ultra-smooth movements
- Control of up to 3 stepper motors (one motor license included for slider movement, more licenses included in Waterbird extension packages and as stand-alone orders)
- Port for connecting camera trigger with standard 2.5mm plug for time-lapse and manual triggering with settings for focus time in the App.
- Auxiliary port for extensions like manual control via a potentiometer (optional), control of an external lamp for time-lapse (optional), or triggering of a second camera (optional)
- Fast mounting bracket included
- Compact size 65.5 x 59.6 mm (70.92 x 65 mm with mounting bracket)
- Power supplied via standard 12V DC supply, minimum 2A, 5.5mm DC socket with 2.1/2.5 mm Pin
- Firmware updates will be performed via Micro USB
- Control from Windows PC via USB planned for end of 2017
The Multi Slider comes in three standard sizes: 80, 120 and 150cm. Additionally, you can contact the company and have a custom made slider of any length you need. The product isn’t released just yet, and expected availability is the end of the summer 2017. As for the exact pricing, it’s yet to be announced. Patrick Centurioni of Waterbird Systems mentions in the video that it will be around $2,000 for the 150cm slider with the motor, control unit and the mobile app.
Dunja Djudjic is a multi-talented artist based in Novi Sad, Serbia. With 15 years of experience as a photographer, she specializes in capturing the beauty of nature, travel, and fine art. In addition to her photography, Dunja also expresses her creativity through writing, embroidery, and jewelry making.