When I talk to videographers who fly drones (dronists? I donno…) and the issue of DJI vs. 3D robotics comes up, the main point is always how the Solo from 3DR can do clever things autonomously while the DJIs need some babysitting.
DJI added 5 new modes to the control app (you need to update both the app and the UAV firmware, see links below)
- Waypoints – Record a flight path, then tell your Phantom 3 or Inspire 1 to fly along the same path repeatedly while you control the camera and orientation. Save your favorite missions, customize speed, and more.
- Point of Interest – Tell your Phantom 3 or Inspire 1 to automatically revolve around a designated object, person, or place in a perfect circle. Automatic and customizable, get shots that only experts could before.
- Follow Me – (Phantom 3 series only) Tell your Phantom 3 to follow you, and it automatically flies and keeps you in the camera’s view wherever you go.
- Home Lock – Customize your flight controls to be relative to you at all times. Flick a switch, and forward/backward and left/right flight will be set in relation to the Home Point.
- Course Lock – Easily fly along a set path by putting your platform into Course Lock, which sets all flight controls to directions relative to its current heading.
here is an intro on the flying mode (from the DJI Standard announced a few day ago)
We still don’t have the cable cam feature from the solo, but I would not be surprised if it comes in soon enough. I am not sure yet on how those features will impact safety of flight, but I am sure it won’t be enough to stop the imminent regulation.
Here are the relevant download links from DJI:
- Inspire 1 Latest Firmware：v18.104.22.168 | DOWNLOAD NOW |
- Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced Latest Firmware：v1.4.0010 | DOWNLOAD NOW |
- Phantom 3 Standard Latest Firmware：v1.1.0030 Please use the DJI GO app to update the firmware.
And here are the relevant Apps: