Here is a problem nature and wildlife photographers have to deal with. How to protect gear when accesing the bag. Some shoots involve dust, rain, mud and other elements that may “interact” with your $11,000 600mm f/4 lens. And you wouldn’t want that.
Mindshift Gear’s (re)newed version of Moose Peterson’s “ears” bag suggests a solution to this problem. Here is the premise, while some environmental interaction is unavoidable, the bag tries to reduce them to a minimum. When you open a compartment to get gear out (or put gear in) the flap will automatically close and seal itself so the gear and bag interior stays safe. You still need to close the zipper though.
The other interesting feature is that complete kits are stored in their own compartments. Most bags have one big compartment and lots of dividers to store lenses and bodies. The Moose Peterson bags have three compartments, each build for a complete (grip +) camera and lens. So three compartments equal three camera kits to carry. The biggest compartment on the biggest bag will hold a 600mm f/4 lens attached to a gripped body. That quite a lot of space. (the other two compartments will hold two more cameras). This means that only one compartment needs to be open at ny given time, saving dirt and dust from the other two compartments.
There are three variants to the bag: from the $349.99 bag mentioned above to a small $199 bag that will hold a gripped body attached to 70–200mm f/2.8, with a medium bag in between. None of the bags has a laptop pocket. I wonder if this is a decision point for nature photographers.
Here is a video that shows how the bag is packed:
Here is the video featuring Moose Peterson and the three bags:
This is not the first time Moose Peterson releases a bag, and this series is actually a remake (can you say remake on bags) of a 1998 version of the bag made by Moose. (see how we advanced in bag design in the last 20 years)
And here is the list f feature for the bigger bag:
- Original 1998 ‘Moose Ears’ design with auto-close compartment flaps protect the interior from dust, spray, wind, etc.
- Three compartment system allows you to keep lenses attached providing the quickest way to access gear
- Tuck-away harness system with removable waistbelt easily allows you to streamline your bag when loading it in a train, plane or automobile (MP-1 & MP-3 only)
- Sized for carry-on*, allowing you to get the maximum amount of gear on the plane
- Long glass carrying solution with body attached
- Tripod/monopod mounting system on side and front
- Flap guard protects front zippers
- Seam-sealed rain cover/drop cloth included
- Highest quality RC Fuse YKK zippers, 600D and 420D nylon construction for long-lasting durability and strength
- Dual density foam padded shoulder harness, cushioned with air mesh
- Zippered side pockets fit full-sized flashes (MP-7 only)
- Includes two removable zippered mesh pouches for accessories
- Stretch water bottle pocket fits 32 oz. water bottle
- Internal zippered mesh pockets under each ear flap
- Zippered top pocket (MP-1 & MP-3 only)
- Padded handle on top; webbing handle on bottom
- Padded handle on right side (MP-1 & MP-3 only)
- Robust zipper pulls are easily gripped with or without gloves
- Adjustable dividers for different camera case configurations
- ID/business card window slot on top
[Moose Peterson Backpack Series $199-$350 | mindshiftgear]
FIND THIS INTERESTING? SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!