The GNARBOX (pronounced narbox) solved a major issue for many: How to work in the field with no laptop. A decent laptop that supports backing up, exporting short bits for social media, handle RAW files and similar tasks, cannot be a
weak small laptop. But many times, you don’t actually need a laptop, you just want to backup some files, or post a short shot to social media, and a laptop is too much to carry for that. Not to mention the weight and extra care a laptop demands.
Now, the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD takes that concept and turns it into an eco-system. The new GNARBOX 2.0 SSD has more storage, is definitely sexier, and supports four apps or workflows to enable working in the field. The only caveat I have with the box is that it is launching on Kickstarter.
But, even if you have the GNARBOX v1, GNAR have some good news for you, according to the Kickstarter, they will add all the software features to the old box, so you will enjoy the same dropbox, Lightroom and Premiere integrations (as well as the other goodies), at no extra charge.
- Software integrations with LumaFusion, Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Lightroom, and Dropbox
- Upgraded native app features for seamless workflow including: GBX SafeKeep, GBX Selects, GBX Sequence, GBX Showcase
- Intel Quad Core, 2.40GHZ CPU
- multifunctional on-box display and buttons
- NVMe SSD up to 1TB
- USB-C Backup: 400-500MB/sec read/write speeds
- USB-C Computer Connect: 400-500MB/sec read/write speed
- 2x USB-C, SD & microHDMI port
- IP67 – Waterproof to 1m for 30minutes
The new GNARBOX will have four applications (or workflows):
This app allows backing up files into the box as well as moving them to services like Dropbox. It supports using preset folders, so you can match the folder schemes all across your different devices.
This would be your culling, notes and nimi-lightroom application. It is not clear yet if you would get a similar experience to what you’d get with the Lightroom mobile app.
This, I think is one of the more interesting apps the GNARBOX delivers. It does fast video processing and preview, including pro codecs, as well as minor edits like trimming and assembly, bin preparation and rendering (including Prores) and color correction. This would be perfect for social media.
This is your basic movie/photo viewer, only it can connect to larger screens with a miniHDMI port.
Pricing and Availability
You can preorder here. Pricing will depend on the amount of storage you plan on getting:
- GNARBOX 2.0 SSD (128GB) – $399 USD
- GNARBOX 2.0 SSD (256GB) – $499 USD
- GNARBOX 2.0 SSD (512GB) – $599 USD
- GNARBOX 2.0 SSD (1TB) – $999 USD
And according to the Kickstarter they plan to start shipping on March 2019