Let’s face it, everything looks good on a 3″ screen. So, the advantages of shooting tethered become immediately apparent in the studio. You’re able to quickly see the results as you shoot them on a much larger screen. This makes it much easier to spot distracting elements, issues with hair or makeup, and if the composition even works when shown big.
It’s an ability that many photographers find absolutely invaluable and difficult to work without. It’s also an ability that’s been lacking with the Fuji X-T2, until now. Fuji have released a new v1.10 firmware for the X-T2 which, amongst other things, now gives the photographers the ability to shoot tethered to Lightroom. Users can also shoot tethered to Fuji’s own HS-V5 software.
To make use of tethered shooting in Lightroom, you will need the Tethered Shooting Plug-in PRO from Fuji. At the moment, this is a Mac only plugin, and costs $79. Windows users will need to make use of Fuji’s HS-V5 software.
As well as the ability to shoot tethered to a computer, the v1.10 firmware update also offers several other features and fixes.
- Lock function during shooting mode is added. The update will let users prevent from the unexpected dial/button operation.
- The shutter speed will be displayed in a preview image with the setting of SHUTTER AE OFF, ISO AUTO and Aperture-Priority.
- The phenomenon is fixed that overexposure could happen with the setting of AF-C mode, AF-C PRIORITY SELECTION and FACE DETECTION ON.
- The phenomenon is fixed that AF function doesn’t work well in the tele-photo area with XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR.
- The phenomenon is fixed that hung-up could happen when carrying out SELECT FROM NETWORK LIST of MANUAL SETUP in PC AUTO SAVE SETTING.
- The phenomena is fixed that CH HIGH SPEED BURST (continuous high speed) doesn’t work well with fixed exposure and fixed amount of flash luminescence (TTL-L or flash M mode) while used with FUJIFILM Shoe Mount Flash (excluding EF-X8)
- The phenomenon is fixed that Flash i40 made by Nissin for FUJIFILM doesn’t fire.
So, some good news there for X-T2 owners.
- Download the Fuji X-T2 v1.10 firmware
- Download Tethered Shooting Software HS-V5 (Win)
- Purchase Tethered Shooting Plug-in PRO for Lightroom (Mac)
Have you updated the firmware in your X-T2 yet? Did it resolve any issues you were having? Have you tried shooting tethered with it yet? How well did it work for you? Tell us about your experiences in the comments.