YouTuber Gaston Shutters has shared several videos of the Sony FX3 along with some of the specs. His source, he says, tells him that this is basically the exact same camera as the Sony A7S III but in a slightly different body. It’s supposedly lighter than the A7S III in order to help those who want to take advantage of filming from Sony’s new Airpeak drone platform.
Other than the form factor, according to Gaston’s source, the specs are basically exactly the same as the Sony A7S III.
- Same 12-Megapixel 4K full-frame sensor as the A7S III
- Full-size HDMI output (no SDI)
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- Mic input on the body and top handle (connects via hotshoe)
- No built-in neutral density
- It has a stills mode (new to Sony FX cameras)
- IBIS with active mode (and electronic image stabilisation)
- Uses the same Sony NP-FZ100 battery as the A7S III
- Takes a pair of CFexpress Type-A cards (no mention of dual-format slots?)
- Shoots 4K 120fps (no, it’s not 8K)
- Price expected to be €3795
- Announcement and pre-orders expected on February 23rd.
Gaston’s belief is that this is a camera specifically designed for Sony’s upcoming Airpeak drone platform. We already know that Airpeak is built for Sony’s own cameras, so it makes sense for them to develop a camera that might be better suited than their current Alpha range to take to the skies.
It looks like Gaston might have at least one or two more videos on the FX3 coming up, as some footage was shown in the second video above with an overlay stating that they’re for a future video coming to the channel soon, so keep an eye out for those.
Are you excited for the FX3 or a little disappointed?