One of the coolest things timelapse technology is that it allows us to see large scale projects that would otherwise be very hard to visualize. Say, watching a ship being cut in half and extended to 195.92m.
The team at MKtimelapse spent 2 months filming this with two specialized system, and condensed into a three minutes film.
The systems behind such a capture are not your everyday camera with a timer. (well, they basically are, but also have some more advanced features built in)
While some of the technology is kept as a trade secret, for obvious reasons, the list of features shows that those systems are environmental timelapse monsters:
- Resumes automatically after power loss
- Online connection via dual sim 3G/4G Router, WiFi and/or Ethernet, optional satellite link
- IP65 protective housing, powder-coated aluminum, sun visor
- Tempered abrasion-resistant glass
- Option for thermoelectric cooling (+70°C ambient)
- Option for windshield wipers with 10l – 20l water tank
Of course, you can always DIY such a monster yourself 🙂