Sigma has released new major firmware updates for both the 24-megapixel Sigma fp and 61-megapixel Sigma fp L mirrorless cameras. The new updates add a number of new features to both cameras, including the “Warm Gold” colour mode, support for 4TB SSDs as well as Atomos Cloud Support. They also bring the EL ZONE metering system to both cameras, making them the first mirrorless still/cine cameras to feature it.
The EL ZONE metering system was created by cinematographer Ed Lachman, ASC. It’s a false-colour exposure tool that displays the standard exposure (18% grey) as grey and shows 6 stops of highlights above middle grey, and 6 stops of shadows below middle grey, using a standardised colour-coded format, letting you maximise your camera’s dynamic range and offering more consistency from shot to shot.
The EL ZONE system is essentially a modernisation and adaptation of Ansel Adams’ zone system as used in photography to make it useful and consistent for video. Lachman created it in order to try and standardise the way manufacturers look at exposure and it appears that it’s starting to become accepted in the industry. Panasonic has implemented it in their VariCam cameras, so has SmallHD for their monitors.
It’s a logical way of looking at exposure in order to create consistency from one shot to another. Clips that were perhaps shot months or miles apart from each other. And now you can do it on the Sigma fp and Sigma fp L mirrorless cameras – without having to pipe their signal out to a SmallHD monitor. Here are the rest of the updates in the new firmware downloads.
SIGMA fp Ver. 5.00 / SIGMA fp L Ver. 3.00
- A new color mode “Warm Gold” is added. This Color mode creates a mellow atmosphere with subdued tones and warm colors.
- The “EL ZONE” option has been added to the “False Color” function, which displays the exposure status of any part of the screen in a color-coded manner, allowing you to monitor the exposure status of any part of the screen.
- “Focus frame only” *has been added to the information display menu in the |▢| (Display) mode setting.
* “Focus Frame Only” appears in the menu only when the shooting style in STILL mode or CINE mode is set to STILL-like.
- The camera can now be switched off even during long exposures.
- The camera is now compatible with a 4TB (terabyte) external SSD.
- Open Gate (x1.25 / x1.3 / x1.5 / x1.65 / x1.8 / x2) for ARRI ALEXA LF / ALEXA Mini LF has been added to the camera and setting information registered in the Director’s Viewfinder.
- ATOMOS Cloud is now supported.*
* Firmware update of ATOMOS devices is required to use the cloud solution provided by ATOMOS. Please wait for the announcement from ATOMOS for information on compatible devices and the release date of the firmware.