When it comes to protecting your camera from the elements we already know that a condom will go a great way. However, sometimes a more subtle approach is needed. Especially if all you are seeking is to protect your camera from a bit of rain.
The following guest post about creating a camera rain cover from trousers is made by Matti Hassinen.
It only takes a pair of rain trousers, some Velcro and basic sewing skills to make this rain cover. To entitle this as a recycling effort it would be best to use that old pair of trousers that you no longer wear. If not, Rain trousers can be found very cheaply in the flea market or even on Amazon.
Choose the material of the trousers according to your need for the rain cover. Light nylon based material is ideal for a cover you can keep in the camera bag all the time. Here the cover is made from trousers of heavier and stronger material, which protects the equipment also during longer stay in foul weather.
Yea, well a bit of sewing is involved. If you need some help on that ask a friend or go to the neighborhood shop.
1. Measure the size you need for your camera body and the lens and clip off the other trouser leg.
2. Turn the trousers inside out and close the opening of the clipped leg by sewing.
3. Measure the length you need for the longest lens and clip off the excessive.
4. Measure the length of Velcro needed around the remaining trouser leg. This Velcro “strip” will fasten around the lens and help you avoid “frontal leaks”.
5. Sew the Velcro pieces inside the leg.
6. Punch a hole for the tripod plate screw.
7. The rain cover is ready to use.
What are you doing to avoid rain on your precious one? Let us know via the comments.
FIND THIS INTERESTING? SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!