Making a video of cinematic quality doesn’t only depend on the quality of the camera. You can even shoot with your phone if you’re on the budget. But, you may want to add movement to your footage to make it look more professional. InMotion is an automated slider aimed particularly at those filming with smartphones. Additionally, it can support action and mirrorless cameras if that’s your preferred gear. In either case, it promises to provide you with “Hollywood quality content” without breaking the bank.
The slider is still in the Kickstarter funding phase, but as I write this, it has almost reached the goal. It comes with a universal mount for smartphones, mirrorless and GoPro cameras. If you’re looking for something which supports DSLRs too, you can check out the ROV slider.
The designers of InMotion also promise 36 more field of vision than typical sliders, due to its panning mechanism. Just like the phones and cameras it supports, this slider is lightweight and portable.
The slider is to be used with InMotion Mobile App and here are some of the features:
- Face Following: advanced motion tracking algorithms track your face, keeping you in the frame as the slider moves.
- Parallax Mode: a slider shot is combined with a pan headshot to keep the slider orbiting around a set object/person located 27” from the smartphone.
- Live streaming: live footage can be streamed instantly to social media or embedded into your blog.
- Cloud Rendering: creates HDR timelapses by mass-processing RAW images from iPhone and color grading them in the cloud.
- Filming Presets: preset modes can be applied to footage for a polished touch.
- Manual settings: manual exposure time, ISO sensitivity, white balance and focus.
- Panoramic Mode: this function helps you capture landscapes and location shots without any shaky-hand mishaps or picture imperfections.
- Time Lapse Mode
- Motion Triggering: you can set up a motion trigger for subjects as far as 30 feet away. Filming begins immediately, or a time delay can be set-up for a smoother transition.
- Interview Mode: one of the many available looped sequences ensures your slider stops in preselected positions with very gentle movement in between. This way you can film an entire interview as one master shot.
- 360* photos : add just an accessory adapter and the slider will be able to create 360 videos of products on a turntable
As for the specs of the slider itself, this is what it will contain, according to the description:
- 15 in length tracks
- Panning motor for 36 degrees greater field of view than most sliders
- Tripod mountable with adjustable legs
- InMotion smart app included
- 3 ¼ inch mounting points for accessories
- USB port for power on the go
- Built-in 12V battery for 5 hours of filming on any device
- Optional extension rails can be added for up to 30in of track
I’m not that much into filming (especially not with my phone, because it sucks). But judging from the preview and specs, this seems like a nice little gadget to add a new dimension to your phone footage. The “early birds” can get InMotion for $247 and $267. If you don’t catch this offer, you’ll be able to get it for $297. As for the availability, it’s still a bit far: the estimated delivery date is June 2018. But if you’d like to pledge for this project now, or find out more, check out their Kickstarter page.