We know that you are constantly hitting refresh to see if the new Sony a6400 has been announced yet. It has!
Here is the executive brief, but hit the jump for the full scope:
- World’s Fastest (i) 0.02 seconds (ii) AF acquisition speed plus 425 phase-detection and contrast-detection AF points covering approximately 84% of the image area
- Advanced Real-time Eye AF
- New Real-time Tracking for object tracking
- 24.2MP(iii) APS-C Exmor™ CMOS image sensor and latest-generation BIONZ X™ image processor
- 180-degree fully tiltable LCD touch screen for self-recording
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 11 fps(iv) mechanical shutter / 8 fps(iv) silent shooting with continuous AF/AE tracking
- High-resolution 4K(vi) movie recording with full pixel readout and no pixel binning, plus advanced AF speed and stability
- Interval recording for time-lapse videos
According to Sony the camera boasts “the world’s fastest autofocus (AF) acquisition of 0.02 seconds, while also introducing the new advanced “Real-time Eye AF” and ”Real-time Tracking” capabilities.”
There is a new BIONZ X image processing engine, 11 FPS and a fully 180-degree tiltable LCD touch screen.
It does not really feel a continuum of the a6300 or a6500 but rather a new camera line that only shares form factor and APC size with its two siblings.
There are no big surprises on the video front with up to 60p in FHD and 30p in 4K.
Lastly, remember that sony killed its app store a while back. They are trying to amend by adding an internal intervalometer for shooting time lapses. I guess that was the most downloaded app anyways.
It looks like Sony is targeting vloggers with a 180 flip screen. (Though the flip screen will be hidden if you use a hot shoe mic), and the kickoff movies are crafted accordingly.
Pricing and Availability
The α6400 will ship in February 2019 for a suggested retail price of $900 USD. It will also be offered as a kit with the 16-50mm F3.5 – 5.6 lens for a suggested retail price of $1,000 USD, or in a kit with the 18-135mm F3.5 – 5.6 lens for a suggested retail price of $1,300 USD.