We have covered Macro Lenses before, from optically flawless reverse mounts to the questionable-yet-so-much-fun DVD iPhone Lens adapter.
What we never did before is to convert some headlight to macro tilt-shift lens. Till we got a mail from David Koch, that is. A mail with a precise prescription.
Now, this will work only with super expensive headlight, so you may want to check your local scrap yard /old auto yard before you dive into this project.
It only takes 7 steps and the one of them actually only says wait…
1) Take Lens obtained from headlight assembly, you need one of those ultra-bright ones found on more expensive cars. Civics have those lights for example, and so do BMWs :)
2) Get an old UV filter, step up ring, or something that you can use to attach to the lens and not worry about losing the filter.
3) Measure out the distance from the edge of the lens that the filter will need to be centered in the lens, mark at least 3 points around where the filter should go. (Mark them on the flat side)
4) Take a paper cup or something to prop the lens on so you can glue the filter ring down.
5) Now to attach the filter permanently, I used some clear silicon caulk, but other adhesives might work equally well, be sure it is thick enough so that it attaches to the outside of the ring and the flat end of the lens. (See pictures)
6) Let it sit in a cool, dry place for at least 24 hours, or the caulk might not set up properly. (You’re itching to try this, I know, trust me you want to wait). Once finished trim any caulk around the edges the filter threads.
7) Attach the filter to a lens and have fun with your new super close up filter.
I have found that it works best when the lens is set to manual focus at infinity, and move the whole setup to find the sweet focus, as well, It seems to work better at a wide angle.
Featured Comment by Kevin A Crider
Actually, these can be found all over eBay if you search for “projector
headlights”. It’s a pretty common trend among the younger generations
when trying to soup up their cars.
FIND THIS INTERESTING? SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!