The My Rode Reel short film competition is one of the highlights of the film world and every year it gets bigger and better. For 2020, they’ve outdone themselves, and have a massive $1 million in cash prizes for the winners. This is the largest cash prize of any short film competition, ever. But they’re also giving away a whole boatload of gear, too!
My Rode Reel has been running since 2014, and since that time it’s seen more than 16,000 films submitted and given out over $3.5 million in prizes to new and established filmmakers.
Entering My Rode Reel is pretty straightforward.
- Head on over to MyRodeReel.com, login or register and download the starter pack.
- Make a 3-minute short film about just about anything you want
- Shoot a 3-minute behind-the-scenes video featuring a Rode product
- Upload your short film and BTS to YouTube and submit the links to MyRodeReel.com
- Share it online for a chance to also win the People’s Choice Prize
As well as a million dollars in cash, there is also gear up for grabs from Rode themselves as well as companies like Zhiyun, Nanlite, Arri, Rhino, Musicbed, Pelican, Mzed, Panasonic Lumix, Brevitē and Adobe. You can see the list of all of the prizes here and see here for the categories themselves.
It will be interesting to see what kinds of things people enter this year, given that much of the world has been on lockdown and collaboration has been somewhat tricky. Best of luck to all who enter!