This seems to be the new thing for camera manufacturers. They don’t just announce new cameras now, they announce than an announcement is coming. Or that a new camera is in development. Nikon just did it with the D850, and now Sony are doing it with a new 4K CineAlta motion picture camera.
Sony have given us a little more information than Nikon did, though. Their new CineAlta camera will use an entirely new full frame 36x24mm sensor, designed specifically for digital motion picture capture. It will also be compatible with current and new accessories for the CineAlta cameras.
- Full Frame 36x24mm sensor exclusively designed for Digital Motion Picture Camera
- Aspect ratio-agnostic – including Full Frame, Super35 4K 4-perf 4:3 Anamorphic and 4K spherical 3-perf 17:9
- New image sensor enabling exceptional picture quality
- Maintains the workflow established with Sony’s 16bit RAW/X-OCN and XAVC
- Compatible with current and upcoming hardware accessories for CineAlta cameras
That’s pretty much it so far, but if Sony’s previous CineAlta cameras are anything to go by, it probably won’t suck.
If you want to keep up to date on Sony’s new CineAlta as more information becomes available, register on the Sony Pro website.