Skylum has just announced a brand new image editor. Luminar Neo is AI-driven editing software relying on Skylum’s already established technology. And yet, it provides you with more control and flexibility over your edits so it’s not all about AI. It sounds like a crossover between Luminar 4 and Luminar AI (reviewed here), with the best of both worlds. Also, colorists and composite artists should find it useful alongside photographers, so let’s see what it has to offer.
Just like Luminar AI, Luminar Neo also wants to eliminate time-consuming and repetitive tasks from image editing. As far as key AI features go, here are four that Skylum points out:
- Transform photos with new relighting options. Luminar Neo analyzes each image to recognize the depth of a scene and its subject which allows precise control over exposure and tone.
- Remove blemishes and distracting elements. Luminar Neo automatically recognizes and removes artifacts caused by a dirty camera sensor or lens. New tools make removing unwanted background elements easier than ever before.
- Powerful background replacement. Take full control of the background for portrait photos by quickly replacing it with an all-new image or background.
- Round-trip mobile image management. Skylum’s new companion mobile app makes it simple to add pictures captured on a mobile device to your Luminar Catalog. Once edited in Luminar Neo, results can be sent back to the mobile device for easy social sharing or viewing on the go.
Precise control with flexible editing
While there are automatic, AI-powered features, Luminar Neo was made to give you more control over each of them. Skylum says that the company relied on input from photographers, artists, and colorists to build this software, and it appears that they also had compositing in mind. Luminar Neo offers AI-Driven Compositing feature, which includes:
- Smart, AI-based masking to isolate elements in individual images.
- Adding numerous images as layers to create entirely new art.
- Applying any tool and any mask … to any layer, in any order, multiple times.
- Creative blending modes, guided by AI, to achieve clean, precise, composite images.
It’s important to note that, although many features are AI-driven, they are completely editable and adjustable. So, it seems like Luminar Neo could be useful for newbies just as much as for more experienced photographers.
For now, Luminar Neo is available for preorders and it will start shipping this winter. If you’re totally new to Skylum’s software, you can order Luminar Neo as a bundle with Luminar AI. You’ll get the Luminar AI immediately and Luminar Neo as soon as it launches.
If you use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom Classic, you can also use Luminar Neo as a plugin.
Early-bird pricing is available here and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee from the time of shipping. Luminar Neo will also be carried in both the Microsoft Store and macOS App Store.