There are several ways to scan your film, be it a lab, a dedicated scanner, or a cheap DIY approach. Each has pros and cons, and VALOI easy35 wants to take the best from all worlds.
This gadget makes 35mm film scanning a piece of cake. It’s small and portable, yet it has everything you need for film scanning. You can simply attach it to your DSLR’s lens and shoot away, and VALOI promises not only ease of use, but also high-quality scans.
The idea of this tool is to give you the convenience and affordability of a flatbed scanner but the quality of a dedicated film scanner. And all that in a small package rather than a complex setup.
Keep in mind that you’ll need extension tubes, but they’re included with the VALOI easy35, so you don’t have to buy them separately. There are several different types of tubes available, depending on your lenses. VALOI shares a video to help you determine which ones you need:
VALOI easy35 features bright LED lights to ensure a sharp scan. It’s built into the unit and has a USB-chargeable battery. The gadget also makes your film completely protected from external light, so there’s no color cast from the daylight or the lights in your room.
As for the build, the easy35 and the tubes you get with it are made from aluminum with finely machined threads. The body and film holders are made from strong but flexible Nylon material. The team promises they aren’t thin and brittle like plastic and will last you years or even decades.
If you’re wondering about the lenses, VALOI team recommends these:
- Micro Four Thirds
These are lenses that they have tested with the easy35. “However, there is no reason why other macro lenses should not be compatible as long as they have filter threads,” the team notes. You can reach out to them if you have any questions:
- 7artisans 60mm f/2.8 version 2 (APS-C)
- Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM (full-frame) – requires long tube kit
- Sigma 70mm f/2.8 (full-frame and APS-C)
- TTartisans 40mm f/2.8 (APS-C)
- Olympus 30mm f/3.5 (M4/3)
- Olympus 60mm f/2.8 (M4/3) – requires long tube kit
- Nikon Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 (full-frame and APS-C)
- Nikon Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 (full-frame and APS-C)
- Nikon Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AF (full-frame and APS-C)
- Sony 90mm f/2.8 (full-frame) – requires long tube kit
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L (full-frame) – requires long tube kit
VALOI easy35 is pre-selling through IndieGoGo and the team has already collected €65,997, exceeding the goal. You can pre-order yours for €159; the regular price will be €199.