Panasonic has officially announced its raw video features for the Panasonic S5 IIX (buy here). As expected, there’s no raw recording internally, with both ProRes RAW and Blackmagic RAW support being provided by external recorders using raw over HDMI output. Raw support was always expected to come to the Panasonic S5 IIX, but it wasn’t confirmed at the time of the product announcement
Now, it appears to be available with the camera supporting both formats through external monitor recorders from Atomos and Blackmagic. Panasonic has also announced that a firmware update will also be coming in June for the Panasonic S5 II to add Blackmagic RAW support using raw over HDMI with the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR.
Essentially, Panasonic has added support for the Atmos Ninja V (buy here), Atomos Ninja V+ (buy here), Atomos Shogun Connect (buy here) and Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR (buy here) to the Panasonic S5 IIX. This allows you to record either ProRes RAW with the Atomos devices or Blackmagic RAW with the Blackmagic recorder. There’s no firmware update to download. It’s just coming as standard with the S5 IIX camera – which is scheduled to start shipping on May 31st.
Panasonic is pleased to share updated information on the LUMIX S5IIX, previously announced on January 4, 2023, and a firmware update for the LUMIX S5II.
The LUMIX S5IIX offers BRAW compatibility; in addition to ProRes RAW, Blackmagic RAW is also available. The camera also features expanded compatibility with external devices, plus support for ATOMOS Ninja V, ATOMOS SHOGUN CONNECT and ATOMOS Ninja V+. The Recording Mode can be set as follows:
- Please refer to the ATOMOS website for the information on the corresponding firmware version of ATOMOS Ninja V+, ATOMOS Ninja V or ATOMOS Shogun CONNECT.
- oftware that supports ProRes RAW is required to edit RAW video recorded with ATOMOS Ninja V+ or ATOMOS Ninja V. Apply the LUT (Look up table) available on the following customer supports site to make the same color grading as V-Log/V-Gamut https://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/lut/s1h_raw_lut/
- lease refer to the Blackmagic Design website for the information on the corresponding firmware version of the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR.
- aVinci Resolve or DaVinci Resolve Studio is required to play back and edit Blackmagic RAW data. DaVinci Resolve Studio is required to deliver projects using Blackmagic RAW data in resolutions over 3840×2160.
- ll functions may not be available depending on the situation.
Firmware Update for LUMIX S5II (Version 2.0)
The LUMIX S5II firmware update will offer RAW data output over HDMI (Requires Software Upgrade Key DWW-SFU2). In addition to ProRes RAW, Blackmagic RAW will now be available. Live View Composite, which is pre-installed on the LUMIX S5IIX, is also among the new features included in the firmware update.
The firmware update program for LUMIX S5II will be available on June 13, 2023.
- Apple and ProRes are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.
- ATOMOS / Ninja V+ / Ninja V / SHOGUN CONNECT are registered trademarks of ATOMOS Limited.
- Blackmagic Design’ and ‘Blackmagic RAW’ are registered trademarks of Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd.
- Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
- Design and specifications are subject to change without notice
As mentioned, this is not a firmware update for the S5 IIX, but a firmware update is coming to the S5 II, which adds Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR support for recording in Blackmagic RAW. That firmware is expected to come in mid-June.
FIND THIS INTERESTING? SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!