After a thread on Reddit exploded with rumors regarding the forthcoming (and highly anticipated) GoPro 4, news about the details of the action camera began seeming more and more reliable. The Reddit thread is now reporting that Michael Zhang says he can confirm the rumors in a post he wrote over on PetaPixel.
It looks like GoPro has been listening to it’s consumers as they have added several important upgrades including the ability to record 4k video at 30 fps. (Previous versions could only recocrd 4k at 15 fps). However, only the GoPro Hero 4 Black will feature the 4k at 30fps upgrade. Instead of higher frame rates at 4k, the GoPro Hero 4 Silver will get a new touch screen LCD to help take the guesswork out of farming shots. Unfortunately, according to Zhang, the touch screen will not be available on the Hero 4 Black edition.
- Both the Black and Silver models will have the standard Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, QuikCapture capabilities. You can also HiLight Tag on both models, a feature that lets you bookmark key footage.
- Both are waterproof to 131 feet (40m) with the included housing.
- Both are capable of taking 12 megapixel stills at a max frame rate of 30fps.
- The dimensions of the GoPro Hero 4 fall within the same dimensions as older models meaning all your existing accessories should fit it.
- The GoPro 4 Black will benefit from added manual settings to control color, ISO limit, exposure, etc. These functions will work on stills and video. The Black will also allow you to select a lens setting of Ultra Wide, Medium, or Narrow.
- The GoPro Hero 4 Black will have the following frame rates: 4K at 30fps, 2.7K at 50fps, 1440p at 80fps, 1080p at 120fps, 960p at 120fps, and 720p at 120fps.
- The GoPro Hero 4 Silver will be able to shoot at frame rates of 4K at 15fps, 2.7K at 30fps, 1440p at 48fps, 1080p at 60fps, 960p at 100fps, and 720p at 120fps.
Leaked images are suggesting a price hike in the GoPro Hero 4 and showing a potential release date of October 12th. These can’t, however, be confirmed at this time and even if they were, it is possible the information would vary by location. Zhang says to expect an official announcement from GoPro somewhere around October 8th, 2014. (Which is, coincidentally, the same day HTC is rumored to announce their new action camera.)