Xiaomi, a rising star in the world of mobile phones and consumer electronics, has just announced the YiCamera action cam.
Judging by the specs of this camera GoPro is in trouble, as the company that has been changing people’s perception of Chinese products seems to have not only outdone the Hero action cam, but it did so at half the price.
The 16 megapixel camera will cost $64, but will initially be available only in China.
The potential GoPro killer features a 16 megapixel Sony Exmor R CMOS sensor, compared to the Hero’s 5MP sensor, and an HD optical glass lens with an f/2.8 aperture.
The larger megapixel count, however, is not the YiCamera’s only advantage over the Hero.
According to the released specs the Chinese action cam will be just as good or better than the GoPro Hero in several key features:
- $64 vs $130
- 1080p/60fps vs 1080p/30fps
- 7fps continous vs 5fps
- 72 grams vs 111 grams (2.5oz/3.9oz)
- Max storage: 64GB MicroSD vs 32GB MicroSD
- H.264 encoding (same)
- 155 degree wide angle lens (the GoPro wins this one with 170 degrees)
- Waterproof up to 40 meters with underwater housing (not included)
- Built-in WiFi (100 meter range) and Bluetooth 4.0
- Optional Bluetooth remote control
- Remote control handset app – allowing you to shoot, edit and share you photos and video
- Travel edition comes with a selfie stick
- BSI (back-illuminated sensor)
- Ambarella A7LS processor
- Panasonic high density lithium-ion battery
- Battery indicator
- 3D noise reduction
The basic accessories such as helmet and bike mounts are available with more accessories, including pet harnesses, on the way.
The camera will be available in white or green and will be sold only in China at first.
According to iGyaan.in the YiCamera will be available in India and other regions later this year, but it is unknown to which countries this refers and if the US is one of them.