It had to come eventually and now it’s finally here. Sony has announced its new Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II lens to go along with its recently released FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II announced last October. Like its predecessor, the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II is designed for full-frame Sony E mount cameras and comes with a number of new improvements that should help the shooting workflow.
Sony says it’s the “world’s lightest f/2.8 standard zoom lens”, but we usually have to take Sony’s “World’s” claims with a pinch of salt and a few caveats. In this case, though, weighing in at only 695g, they might actually have a point. It’s 20% less than the original and significantly less than its Nikon and Canon counterparts.
The new FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II, Sony says, was “developed based on feedback from professionals to offer even better control and usability” over its predecessors. As such it features dust and moisture resistance for shooting out rough outdoor conditions with rubber gaskets and rings on the lens mount and buttons and a front element with a repellant fluorine coating. And according to the press release, it also features…
- Zoom smoothness switch to adjust zoom ring torque either Tight or Smooth
- A newly added aperture ring with click ON/OFF switch and iris lock switch
- Two customizable focus hold buttons
- The focus ring that responds directly and linearly to subtle control when focusing manually
- New lens hood design with opening to control circular polarizing filters (dia. 82mm)
- The center of gravity back toward the mount for improved handling and operation
|Lens Mount||Sony E|
|Angle of View||84° to 34°|
|Optical Design||20 Elements in 15 Groups|
|Diaphragm Blades||11, Rounded|
|Filter Size||82 mm (Front)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||3.5 x 4.7" / 88 x 120 mm|
|Weight||1.5 lb / 695 g|
The Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II is available to pre-order from April 28th for $2,299 and is expected to start shipping in June.