While the Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens was announced along with the Z 7 and Z 6 cameras, Nikon is now introducing the faster version of this standard zoom lens: Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 S. It’s a lightweight, versatile lens and Nikon promises that it brings together a great performance, high precision, and optical superiority.
The Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 S covers wide-angle to portrait-length fields of view. What adds to the versatility is the f/2.8 constant maximum aperture, making this lens a better choice in low light than the f/4 version. It comes with improved aberration correction with “virtually zero flare, ghosting, coma or chromatic, spherical and axial aberration, even at the far edges of the frame,” according to the manufacturer.
The lens consists of 17 elements in 15 groups. Nikon has implemented Nano Crystal Coat to eliminate incidental light from a diagonal direction, plus a new ARNEO Coat for eliminating incidental light from a vertical direction. The Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 S also features a new and improved multi-focusing system. It consists of two synchronized AF drive units for delivering fast and accurate autofocusing. Thanks to the Stepping Motor (STM), AF is also smooth, fast and quiet.
Finally, the lens is dust and water-resistant, which enables you to shoot in less-than-ideal weather conditions. Here are the full specs:
- Mount Type: Nikon Z Mount
- Focal Length Range: 24 – 70mm
- Zoom Ratio: 2.9x
- Maximum Aperture: f/ 2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/ 22
- Format: FX
- Maximum Angle of View (DX-format): 61˚
- Minimum Angle of View (DX-format): 22°50′
- Maximum Angle of View (FX-format): 84˚
- Minimum Angle of View (FX-format): 34°20′
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.22x
- Lens Elements: 17
- Lens Groups: 15
- Compatible Format(s): FX, DX
- VR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization: Yes, 5 axis
- Diaphragm Blades: 9
- Distance Information: Yes
- ARNEO Coat: Yes
- Nano Crystal Coat: Yes
- ED Glass Elements: 2
- Aspherical Elements: 4
- Fluorine Coat: Yes
- Super Integrated Coating: Yes
- Autofocus: Yes
- AF Actuator: STM (stepping motor)
- Internal Focusing: Yes
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.25 ft. ( 0.38 m)
- Focus Mode: Manual/Auto, Manual
- E-type: Yes
- Filter Size: 82mm
- Accepts Filter Type: Screw in
- Dimensions (Diameter x Length): (89mm), (126mm) – Based on CIPA guidelines
- Weight 24.8 oz. (805 g) – Based on CIPA guidelines
- Lens Type: Zoom
Nikon Canada has launched a first impressions video, and you can see a few sample photos on the company’s website.
The Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 S costs $2,300 ($2,296.95 to be exact). It’s available for preorders on Amazon and B&H, and it will start shipping on 30 April 2019.
FIND THIS INTERESTING? SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!