Lenny Kravitz is well-known for his music, but he’s also an avid photographer and a fan of Leica cameras. So, Leica teamed up with the famous musician to bring you a stylish, limited edition version of Leica M Monochrom. It’s covered with faux python skin, and along with two lenses, it will set you back “only” $24,000.
This special edition of Leica M Monochrom is named “Drifter,” after Lenny who is a self-proclaimed drifter himself. In addition to the camera, there are also two “Drifter” lenses available: a Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH. and an APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH. Leica writes that the set was designed “with Kravitz’s vision of being a free spirit, always on the road and open to adventure.”
These are the notes on the design of the set:
- The body of the camera is adorned with a unique sepia-brown paint finish coupled with a vegan python leatherette, sourced by Kravitz’s personal friend and revered designer Stella McCartney
- The accompanying lenses feature the same brown paint finish as their counterpart, complete with impressive pure brass edges
- Additionally, the set includes a striking vegan python carrying strap, brown leather carry cases for each lens, and a brown weekender dubbed “The Drifter Traveler”
Specs-wise, the “Drifter” is a Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) in its core, so these are the key specs:
- 24MP Full-Frame B&W CMOS Sensor
- No Color Array or Low Pass Filter
- Leica Maestro Image Processor
- Rangefinder with Image Field Selector
- 68x Optical Viewfinder Magnification
- 0″ 921.6k-Dot LCD with Sapphire Glass
- Full HD 1080p Video at 24/25 fps
- ISO 320-25000, 3 fps with 2GB Buffer
- Magnesium-Alloy Body Construction
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Download
The Leica M Monochrom “Drifter” set is limited to only 125 sets worldwide, and it’s available at Leica Stores and Boutiques for $23,950, to be exact. Yeah, I know, it’s a lot.
But for comparison, the “basic” Leica M Monochrom costs $8,000. If you add the APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH. and the Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH. to the equation, you’d pay around $16,400. Add Lenny Kravitz’s name and the “limited edition” to this sum, and there you have it: $24K.