Ditch Paper: Create and Sign Model Release Forms with Snapwire’s Free Mobile App
Model release forms are simply part of the photography industry, and while you may not be legally required to have one in all situations (depending on local laws), it never hurts to get a signed release from a subject. However, toting around a bunch of unsigned release forms in the event that you might need them is a bit of a nuisance, and there have been times that I’ve forgotten a release form when I was actually required to get one.
Now (at least for iPhone users), the hassle of printed release forms can be a thing of the past. Thanks to Releases by Snapwire, a mobile app that enables you to create and sign model and property release forms on the go, you will have no excuse for not having one.
The features are pretty straight-forward. You put in your information, you put in the model’s information, you put in the shoot information, sign it, and live happily ever after. But, to break it down a bit more…
- When setting up the app, enter your information as the photographer. The app saves this info and will automatically propagate it to all future forms.
- Select an existing release template, and simply fill in the information for the shoot, model or property, witnesses, etc. The app already includes a great selection of standard templates, including:
- Snapwire Model Release
- Snapwire Property Release
- ASMP Standard Model Release
- ASMP Standard Property Release
- Getty Images Model Release
- Getty Images Property Release
- Shutterstock Adult Model Release
- Shutterstock Minor Model Release
- Shutterstock Property Release
- When you have all the required info ready, simply have all parties involved sign it.
- When you are done, you can email a PDF of the release or throw it into cloud storage. Releases supports Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, Box, and OneDrive.
- The app saves all of your information from the past, including shoots, models, properties, and witnesses. If you cross paths with the same people again, their information will be right there ready to use without you having to do double duty and re-input it all.
And, did I mention the app is completely free?
I’m personally hoping that Snapwire releases a Releases (::giggle::) app for Android in the new future, but, until they do, there’s always Model Release Master free (the free-but-ad-infused version) or Model Release Master paid, which costs $3.99 through the Google Play store…or Easy Release for $9.99.
Allen Mowery is a Nationally-published Commercial & Editorial Photographer with over 20 years of experience. He has shot for major brands as well small clients. When not shooting client work or chasing overgrown wildlife from his yard, he loves to capture the stories of the people and culture around him.