How many times have you heard, how hard can it be, all you do is press a button!
I truly wish that was the case because my life would be so much easier. People think life as a creative is all fun and games. Sitting at a desk doodling, listening to music as you edit….or jet-setting around the world to conventions, networking and partying with friends. That may be true for 1% of the industry, but for the other 99% its a game of hard work and determination. Trying to be the photographer, digital artist, marketer, social media guru and about 5 other jobs all rolled into one. If you come into this industry thinking it’s going to be easy then be prepared for a shock! It is a huge strain on your mental and physical well being!
Your body and mind need to be strong, you have to be prepared for war!! Long days of shooting. Long nights of editing. Isolation. Troublesome clients. No clients. too many clients. Disappearing models. Broken equipment. I could go on and on.
One thing I have learned is that self-development is a must. Learn to control your mind, to understand your own thoughts, feelings and actions and all these things become so much easier. Half the battle is inside your head, so if you can win that half the work is done!
Life can be tough, it can wear you down and erode your dreams. Don’t give in that easy, let life know you’re ready for battle.
Until you understand whats going on inside you won’t be able to control whats going on, on the outside….but once you do, you will grow as a person, and a creative!
Here are a few things I’ve learned in the past few years, you don’t have to agree, it’s just my experiences….
1. Structure, routine, and habit are the keys to a better more successful life…..you can apply these things to every part of your life every day.
2. People will let you down…A lot! Its how you react that defines you.
3. No one cares about your problems! Everyone is the star of their own movie, once you learn this, you don’t moan, you work it out quickly and move forward.
4.Healthy body, healthy mind. Seriously, eat broccoli, drink water, keep fit, take magnesium! HAHA
5. The voice in your head lies to you…….Do not listen to it.
6. You can do anything, and I mean anything through persistence and hard work.
7. Laugh more!
8. Explore your surroundings. Two hours climbing a mountain will benefit your mind and body more than a whole week behind the PC.
9. If you like someone tell them
10. Honesty can solve 99% of problems
11. Don’t be too hard on yourself….there’s always another day, month or year
12. Failure is not bad, it’s only a lesson on how to get better.
13. The law of attraction exists….but not maybe in the way you think it does
We only get one life, don’t waste it!! Fight for the life you want, the art you want to create and the way you want to live.
If you have any to add to the list then feel free to leave them in the comments so we can all read them.