This weird gadget powers your camera with power tool batteries
Many of us have some DeWalt batteries lying around the garage or workshop. What if I told you that they can double as camera batteries? Well, thanks to the Mag Max 3A battery adapter from Kessler, they can. This clever gadget lets you power your camera, as well as other gear, with power tool batteries.
The Kessler Mag Max 3A turns DeWalt 20v Max and 60/20V Flex Volt batteries into a power source for your gear. It lets you charge your camera batteries, but also LED lights, transmitters, monitors, and even your phone. How handy is that? Note, however, that it won’t power devices with a higher than 3amp draw, such as RED DSMC2, Ursa Mini, etc.
“The Mag Max 3A was developed to fill a void in the market for an inexpensive battery solution with a readily available common battery that can be found in almost every country in the world and at most hardware stores,” Kessler writes. They chose DeWalt batteries because they’re popular and easily available.
“We wanted an affordable solution designed to be a problem solver for anyone who has had power needs in the field and remote areas. The Mag Max 3A is a perfect solution for Kessler motion control users but also for anyone looking for an alternative, reliable and affordable power solution.”
These are the Mag Max 3A mounting options and specs:
- 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 tapped and pass-through holes for attaching to a cheese plate, tripod plates, camera carts, and just about anything that has industry standard 1” on center hole patterns. There is also a tapped hole on one end for use with accessory arms and alternative mounting.
- Powerful Neodymium Magnets are embedded into the bottom of the unit to attach to all Kessler MagLink products (Second shooter motors, Second Shooter controller, etc.) as well as anything containing steel, iron, nickel, etc.
- Optional: V-lock kit for attaching to v-mounts, belt clip attachment for using on a camera strap or belt, Gold Mount Stud kit for attaching to gold mounts
Kessler gives you an equation to calculate battery time with a given device:
- Discharge Time = Battery Capacity (Ah) X Battery Voltage (V) Divided by Wattage of the Device you want to use with it.
- When using the smallest Dewalt 1.5Ah battery you can run a 3 axis Second Shooter Plus system for 2.5 hours.
Personally, I think a gadget like this is pretty clever and useful. Even as a hobbyist, I could use this when hanging out at my brother’s or boyfriend’s place, because they have a bunch of power tool batteries. And I imagine it could be even more useful for professional photographers and filmmakers on set.
The Kessler Mag Max 3A is available now and it will retail at a regular price of $249.99. But it’s currently on a discount, and you can get it for $199.99.
[via No Film School]
Dunja Djudjic is a multi-talented artist based in Novi Sad, Serbia. With 15 years of experience as a photographer, she specializes in capturing the beauty of nature, travel, and fine art. In addition to her photography, Dunja also expresses her creativity through writing, embroidery, and jewelry making.