If you plan to take photos with the sun or moon in a specific position, you know how much planning it requires before you even start shooting. MIOPS wants to make it as easy as possible with their new and improved version of the Sun Moon Expert app.
The team has expanded the app’s capabilities to give you as precise and accurate Sun and Moon-related data as possible. So, let’s dive in and see what new features you can expect.
Sun Moon Expert is envisioned as a go-to app for anyone who needs to track the sun and the moon in their shots, whether stills or videos. MIOPS wants it to be the only app you need, so they’ve introduced an extended set of features:
- Augmented Reality (AR) Camera View: Sun Moon Expert now uses the immersive (AR) camera view that overlays the solar and lunar positions directly onto your device. It shows you the position of the sun and moon in real-time, so you can better understand the interplay between lighting conditions and your subjects.
- AR Search Feature: along with the AR camera view, MIOPS also introduces the AR Search feature in Sun Moon Expert. It’s useful for planning your shots as it helps you to determine precisely when the Sun or Moon will pass over a specific point on the camera screen.
- Sun Tracker View: this feature consolidates all the important sun-related data into one comprehensive dashboard. You can see the sunrise and sunset times, blue hour and golden hour times, solar noon, twilight times, and other data that can be vital for your shots.
- Moon Tracker View: just like following the sun, you can also follow the moon with the app’s enhanced Moon Tracker View. You get to access all moon-related information, such as moon phases, moon age, moonrise and moonset times, moon distance; and there’s also a Photo Opportunities section.
- Event Notifications: Sun Moon Expert now provides event notifications for sunrises, sunsets, moonrises, and moonsets, and you can set timely alerts so you don’t miss them.
- Essential Photography Calculators: the app now includes a Tools section with four essential calculators for photographers.
- The 500-rule photography calculator: assists in determining exposure times for capturing the Milky Way Galaxy.
- The ND calculator: helps calculate the correct shutter speed when utilizing neutral density filters.
- The Timelapse Calculator: simplifies the planning and execution of time-lapse sequences
- The DOF (Depth of Field) Calculator: assists in calculating the focus range in images.
Sun Moon Expert aims to be an all-in-one solution, which is something I wholeheartedly support. Planning photos in regard to the sun and moon position requires several apps, so anything that cuts their number is very welcomed. They just need to add a weather report, and we have it all. On the minus side, Sun Moon Expert is available only for iOS, so none of us with Android phones can use it. Sigh.
Still, if you are an iPhone or iPad user, head over to Apple Store, learn more about the app and its software requirements, and download it.