FiLMiC has helped many smartphone videographers to shoot cinematic videos with FiLMic Pro app. Now the company has expanded to still images with its brand new app FiLMiC Firstlight. This one is made for photographers and aims to help them get more creative control over their shots.
Firstlight is fast and easy to use, with a clean and intuitive interface. It offers a range of options, advanced image controls, and film simulations and grain. The app is free for download, but there are a limited number of options available and you can get more through in-app purchase.
Here are the features you get for free:
- Burst mode
- Grid overlays
- Aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, 1:1, 5:4
- Expanded shadow detail
- JPG or HEIC Selection
- HDR control (This feature supported by iPhone Xs Max, Xs, Xr and newer)
- Volume button shutter and support for most bluetooth camera shutter remotes
- FiLMiC Pro quick launch button (for owners of FiLMiC Pro)
Premium Member Subscription is really inexpensive. It will set you back $ per month, or $8 if you subscribe for a whole year. And here’s the list of additional features you get with a paid subscription:
- Shutter and ISO priority modes: In addition to AE you can set specific Shutter Speed or ISO values to adhere to and let the app automatically adjust exposure for the unlocked value.
- Expanded film simulation options: More realistic film simulations and more to be added in the future for paid subscribers.
- Film grain: Fine, coarse and ISO adaptive options in addition to medium
- Adjustable vignette: Low and heavy options in addition to medium.
- Configurable burst mode
- Anamorphic adapter support
- RAW: DNG and TIF formats
- Custom Function button
- Custom live analytics
- Configurable Focus and Exposure controls
- Embedded copyright
Here’s a tutorial to help you get acquainted with the app:
FiLMiC Firstlight is currently available only for iOS 13.0 or later and you can get it in the Apple App Store. It’s compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.