Fujifilm has announced the latest addition to its instant camera family. The Fujifilm Instax Square SQ20 is coming to replace the Instax Square SQ10, which was released last year. Just like its predecessor, it’s an analog-digital hybrid. But along with other improvements, it packs an interesting innovation for an instant camera: video shooting.
The Fujifilm Instax Square SQ20 has a dial on the back of the camera that lets you shoot a video of up to 15 seconds. From this video, you can choose the best moment of a moving subject and print it. Also, when capturing videos, you can continuous AF, but note that it’s not available when you’re capturing stills.
Another novelty is the time shift collage function that lets you take four images at a time by pushing a single button, and take the photos with a specified time difference. You can personalize the time difference and adjust it by 0.2 seconds up to 2 seconds. If you’re up for taking selfies with an instant camera, the Instax Square SQ20 differs from its predecessor because it adds a small selfie mirror next to the lens.
When it comes to creative options, there are mode different filters that can be applied to both stills and videos. The Instax SQ10 has 10 of these filters, and the new Instax Square SQ20 offers 16 filters to choose from. It also features double exposure, Bulb exposure, and the split mode, like the Instax SQ10.
You can save photos and videos you create on a microSD or micro SDHC card, but also in the internal memory of the camera. The internal memory saves around 50 stills and 30 seconds of video.
Here are the basic features of the Instax Square SQ20:
- 7” TFT color LCD monitor with 230K dots resolution.
- Image size – 62mm x 62mm.
- Supported image format – JPEG.
- Images taken and edited / processed can be saved in the internal memory (approx. 50 still images and 30 seconds for video) or on microSD \ micro SDHC card slot (sold separately).
- 4mm fixed focal length (35mm format equivalent) with 4.0 x Digital Zoom
- 4 aperture.
- Auto focus system – single AF (contrast detect TTL, equipped with AF illuminator); continuous AF (only for video).
- Auto / compulsory flash / suppressed flash with effective range of approx. 50cm to 2m.
- Reprints are possible up to the last 50 prints.
- Lithium ion battery (built-in), with built-in charging function.
- 3-4 hours to fully charge (using 0.5 A USB port).
- Printing capacity of up to 100 prints when battery is fully charged.
Just like its predecessor, the Instax Square SQ20 shoots at 1:1 aspect ratio and it uses FUJIFILM Instax SQUARE film. It will be available in two colors: matte black and glossy beige. The camera will be available on 20 October 2018 in the U.S. and Canada, priced USD $200 and CAD $250.