Portraying things in photographs that shouldn’t be physically possible fascinates a lot of photographers. They love to smile proudly when they see people post “Photoshopped, lol!” in Facebook groups in response to their work. Defying gravity is always a hot topic for this kind of thing, particularly levitation.
But in this mind bending shoot, there’s no Photoshop trickery, no erased wires or cloned out supports. Just good old fashioned ingenuity and photography. Created by photographer Daniel DeArco with the assistance of a rather talented dancer and crew, these images and video are just fantastic.
The shoot took place in the Little Boxes Theater in San Francisco. It required 5 days of set building, and 2 hours of shooting. Daniel says that they spent about 25% of the time shooting video, and the other 75% shooting photographs. Daniel also posted a behind the scenes video showing how the whole thing was set up.
Basically, two walls and floor of a room were fabricated to build the “room” on its side. A chair and a table were attached to the back wall, while a mirror frame bordered a hole cut through the floor acting as another wall. Below this hole was a pool to act as the mirror’s surface, and above it was a rain generator.
There was a lot of problem solving and tweaking, but I think we can all agree that the results were well worth all the effort.
That last one really makes it look like she’s emerging from the mirror on the wall. A very cool concept with fantastic execution.
You can find out more about Daniel on his website, and follow his work on Instagram.
FIND THIS INTERESTING? SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!