Over the years we’ve seen our share of photo booths here at DIYP. However, this guide from Mike Mikkelson (who also runs a photobooth business) is probably the most ever comprehensive guide I’ve seen to date. Aside from covering everything (EVERYTHING) from construction, software, printing and props, the fact that Mike runs is as a business makes it a field tested build. Enjoy!
I had been thinking of building a Photo Booth for a couple of years, but never seemed to get around to it. A good friend is getting married at the end of the year, and I’m am the Official Photographer for the event. In speaking with him about the wedding, he had assigned another friend of ours to create a photo booth. I had mentioned that I could help on that project as I had already done heaps of research on the subject. In chatting with our mutual friend, he was having issues coming up with reasonable solutions, and I brought up additional concerns and options.
- Did the Bride and Groom want an actual booth, as this might limit the number of people who could participate?
- Would an “Open Air Booth” be acceptable, this allowing groups of people to participate?
- Would they want the booth to product prints for the guests, and potentially themselves?
It was decided that a laptop running photo booth software and capturing images from a webcam would just not be good enough for this event. I said that I would take the lead on this and come up with a plan. Here are my personal requirements:
- Must be able to utilize dSRL Canon camera to capture great shots within the booth
- A Booth that is portable, and can be modified to use as a booth and open with a backdrop.
- Built-in Softbox for proper lighting
- Must be self-sufficient and users can figure it out themselves. Not sure if we’ll have an attendant at this event. (Remember, I’m the Official Photog, and can’t consume my time with the booth)
- Booth PC would be internet enabled and wireless
- Images would be automagically uploaded to the internet as backup as they were taken.
- Can be used as either a Photobooth or a Video Booth.