Skylum launched Luminar Flex plugin in April current year, and now the first major update is here. The Luminar Flex 1.1 update adds the new Accent AI 2.0 filter, the clever and “human-aware” editing tool that let you improve your images in a single click. Along with the Accent AI 2.0, Luminar Flex 1.1 brings a few more improvements that will speed up your editing process and provide you with new creative options. So let’s see what’s new and how you can update the software.
Accent AI 2.0 filter
Let’s start with the Accent AI 2.0 filter. It uses machine learning to enhance photos in a single click, adjusting like color, contrast, highlights, shadows and more. Skylum promises that as many as 99.5% of photos can “visibly benefit from Accent AI in just seconds.”
Accent AI 2.0 includes human and object recognition technology, meaning that it will make the adjustments realistic. It also includes more accurate color correction and a smarter detail boost. The program is trained in a way that it won’t touch your photo if it considers that it can’t be improved. Skylum is so far the only company that uses this technology, and it can be a useful workflow boost to Adobe and Apple users.
Along with Accent AI 2.0, Luminar Flex 1.1 brings a few more improvements.
The Filter Catalog is now open by default. It lets you easily search the over 50 filters with a name or a keyword, or browse by function. Luminar Flex also tracks your most used filters in the Recent group and lets the user choose their own Favorites for quick access.
There’s also easier management of Looks, which allow you to apply one-click presets to your photos. You can find new creative options for free in the Luminar marketplace, unlock a new look with one click, and customize it with full controls if you like.
Finally, the FLEX update brings improved workspace management to allow loading new workspaces. These allow you to switch back and forth between different workflows depending on the types of images you’re working with, and what tools you need to get the job done most efficiently. Flex comes with eight built-in workspaces:
- Image Aware – Highlights four AI tools found in Flex (Accent AI 2.0, AI Sky Enhancer, Golden Hour and Foliage Enhancer), and allows creatives to apply different saturation and contrast levels to their images.
- Relight & Color – Provides tools to help change the overall look of an image, through tools like Brilliance/Warmth, Color Contrast, Soft Glow, Golden Hour and Adjustable Gradient.
- Intensify – Presents filters to boost the details, contrast, and structure of an image. It’s perfect for rich, detailed photos.
- Drone & Aerial – Filters that help to enhance drone and aerial images, such as AI Sky Enhancer, Dehaze, Golden Hour and Sharpening.
- Film Lab – Take your images back to the film days with unique filters like Matte Look, Split Toning, LUT Mapping, and Texture Overlay. Perfect for a retro or vintage feeling.
- Black & White – Control the black and white conversion of images with luminance and saturation tools, High Key, Curves, Grain and LUT Mapping.
- Portrait – Take that headshot or wedding portrait to the next level with filters like Details Enhancer, High Key, Image Radiance and Dodge & Burn.
- Expert – Have complete control over your images with the Develop filter, and use other filters like Accent AI 2.0, Dehaze, Remove Color Cast, Structure and more to take your photos to the next level.
You can also create your own workspaces and customize the Flex interface based upon what types of photographs you’re editing, or what types of tools you use the most. You can also add additional filters to the built-in workspaces and save as a new workspace in a single click.
Compatibility with older programs
Another thing worth noting is that Luminar Flex works with photo editing apps from Apple and Adobe released in the past ten years. This gives you an ability to unlock newer editing technologies and performance boosts with a one-time purchase, without upgrading your previous software.
How to update
Users with Luminar Flex can update for free to version 1.1. Mac users can update by choosing Luminar Flex in the top menu bar, and then clicking “Check for updates.” Windows users can choose Help > Check for updates on the top toolbar.
Mixed-computer environments can share the same product key for Mac and PC, which can be activated on two devices. Luminar Flex is available at skylum.com/luminar-flex for $70/€70/£65 and comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee and a fully functional trial version. Extensive video training and customer support are included with the purchase, to make sure that you get the full value of your investment.
For those looking for Luminar technology as a stand-alone application, be sure to check out Luminar 3 for Mac and Windows at Luminar’s website.