Sigma has released a new V3.00 firmware for the Sigma fp mirrorless camera. It comes with some new features that bring it more in line with those found on the new Sigma fp L. It adds compatibility for Sigma’s EVF-11 electronic viewfinder, save/load settings, custom button assignments, new cameras added to the Director’s Viewfinder mode and more.
It doesn’t bring it completely up to fp L spec, due to hardware limitations of the fp. It can’t magically add a low pass filter or provide USB power supply, crop zoom or “Image plane phase-difference AF”. But it gets it much closer to that of the newer model.
The complete list of changes for the V3.00 firmware looks like this…
- It adds new Color Modes “Powder Blue” and “Duotone”.
- It adds the “Save/Load Settings” function whereby users are able to save and load the camera settings using a QR code.
- It adds compatibility with the SIGMA ELECTRONIC VIEWFINDER EVF-11.
- It adds the “Automatic switch to the LCD monitor display” function whereby users are able to preview images and operate the menu on the camera’s LCD monitor while using the View button, MENU button and QS button etc., even when using the SIGMA ELECTRONIC VIEWFINDER EVF-11 with the monitor selector set to [EVF].
- It adds the “Quick Focus Frame Shift” function whereby users are able to use the Rear Dial’s direction buttons to directly move the focus frame.
- It adds “Custom Buttons” functions whereby users are able to assign their desired functions such as “Exposure Compensation” and “Depth of Field Preview” to the AEL button, Rear Dial (direction button), Tone Control button, Color Mode button and MODE (Shooting Mode) button.
- It adds “LCD Off Mode” to the Display Mode settings whereby the LCD monitor turns off during shooting or when the camera is not in operation.
- It adds a “Screenshot” feature whereby users are able to save any screen displayed on the LCD monitor as a still-image file.
- It enables users to move the focus frame even when the image is enlarged during shooting in AF or MF.
- It adds 24fps and 48fps frame rates (only at FHD resolution) in the Movie Record Setting.
- It adds “KOMODO 6K” by RED Digital Cinema in the Director’s Viewfinder mode.
- It adds a “Custom Frame” option to the Frame Guide function, enabling users to enter any desired aspect ratio or absolute size value on the image sensor.
- It changes the specification to enable users to adjust the “Color Temperature” setting in “White balance” in custom 50K increments.
- It improves AF operation to achieve better accuracy, stability and followability.
- It enhances the “Flicker Control” function.
- It improves the image quality of JPEG files.
- Other various improvements.
*”Low pass filter”, “USB power supply”, “Image plane phase-difference AF” and “Crop Zoom” functions incorporated in the SIGMA fp L depend on the camera’s hardware. Therefore, updating firmware of the SIGMA fp does not make the camera compatible with these features.
The new v3.00 firmware can be downloaded from the Sigma website, where you’ll also find instructions on how to install it. Although it’s the usual way. Make sure your battery’s fully charged, pop it on an SD and tell it to update through the menus.