There is no nice way of saying it. 3 Legged Thing is killing Brian. But we have some good news, a new tripod series is coming out: Equinox.
We caught up with 3 Legged Thing Founder and CEO Danny Lenihan at the UK Photography show and had a chat about their new range of tripods.
Evo 3 Brian and some of his friends will be End of lining soon and 3 Legged Thing (fondly refereed to as 3LT) is bringing a new series to the market. I did kinda went “oh my god they killed Brian” at a certain point but the new tripods just look too sweet so I’ll have to take it like a man.
The new line is named after explorers and inventors so it has names like Albert, Winston and Leo (no more rock bands. sorry) and they have have some new features and differences via the previous models. We took a close look at Albert and here is what we saw:
- Parallel lock system is made from machined mag-alloy vs. molded locks in the old Evo 3 – this makes it easier to lock and unlock the legs, though it makes the tripod a bit heavier.
- folded size remained the same at 40cm
- some color changes were made (I saw the orange D-ring and one of the knobs on the panning plate, but there may be more color added – I liked it)
- Under 2 kilo (Brian was about 1.5kg, so I guess the under 2 kilo could mean an increase of up to 0.5 kilos)
- Kit is very sturdy, and can take quite a bit of camera on it. I think it will have no problem taking a pro DLSR with a serious tele on it. Final weight rating was not disclosed, but Danny threw the number 30 kilo in the air.
- Head will include the same top-panning plate that previous kits have to serve the video market.
- Albert – the carbon fiber version we looked at will be about 499$ in the US.
FIND THIS INTERESTING? SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!