The DIY Super-Robotic Panohead
What's better than Obama? An Obama Panorama, of course.
If you clicked the link above, you will find a 1,474 Megapixel image of president Obama inauguration. Yup you heard right. 1,474 MP.
This image was made possible with a cool robotic device called the GigaPan. The GigaPan is an automated robotic cradle that tilts and pans in small steps to complete huge panoramic views. It even has a little robotic arm to press the shutter release button for you. And now it is going DIY.
The cool guys over at the DIYP Instructables group came up with something quite unique. A DIY version of the GigaPan.
Final results are displayed here (plug in required).
I wish I could say that this is an easy weekend project. Sadly, I can't. It's cool. It's innovative. It's an "I wish I'd built it", but it is not a one weekend project. If you're into one weekend projects, you may want to try a non robotic panorama head.
- Build Guide: A Modern Old Camera That Eats Photo Paper
- How To Build A Spherical Panoramic (360) Head
- A Shotgun Camera Tripod - Mounting A Camera Next To The Driver's Seat
- Use A Toilet Flange For Elevated Video While Kayaking
- PanoDuino Is The Most Awesomest 360 DIY Pano Head (Yes, Arduino Is Involved)