Choosing The Right Creative Commons License For Your Online Photography

Do you ever post your photography under Creative Commons (CC) license? If so, are you positive you know what each type of CC license means and selected the one you really want?

Choosing The License For Your Online Photography

Basically, there are four questions you need to answer:

  • Do I require the user to place attribution?
  • Do I allow commercial usage of the photograph?
  • Do I require that the user of the photo will license its new creation under the same license and
  • Do I allow the user to change the photo?

Each of those question adds two letters to the CC license type. For example requiring attribution and sharing under the same license is called CC-BY-AS.

Each of the combinations has a slightly different graphics a different license (which you can link to) and as said, a different abbreviation.

Creative Commons now makes it easier for you do both decide what license you want to use and getting the links and images to go with it.

The first tool is a licensing flowchart [pdf] which we cropped and placed as the title image. Following a short list of questions, will get you to the license you need.

The second tool is an online license link and image generator. You type in the type of license you would like to use and the tool gives you an embeddable piece of HTML which displays the correct license graphics along with a link that refers to the legal text of it.

Choosing The License For Your Online Photography

For example, here is the code you get for the Creative Commons Attribution + No Derivative work license (you can get in regular or compact form):

regular compact

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Of course, this does not solve the question of should you use creative commons in the first place.

[Which Creative Commons license is right for me? | Creative Commons via Lifehacker]

  • Johnny Blood

    The right Creative Commons license is none at all…which ensures photogs still can earn some money to either make a living if they are full-time or buy a new camera or lens if they are in part-time. There are enough free photographs on the Internet. You should be showing people how to copyright their photographs.

    • ikke

      On one hand, true. On the other hand, let the people with the one-day-flys get some honor for their work too. If they use a non-commersial-tag, they aren’t fishing in your pond, because the people who use it, wouldn’t hire a (semi-)pro.